Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Joy and Frustration of Squirrels

You know, I love squirrels. I really do. They are cute little things. Growing up, the only places I ever saw them were at parks and in the woods. Then they migrated to the suburbs, and now they are everywhere. All I ever have to do is look out my window to see the squirrels. They are running along all sides of my fences, going in and out the trees, and taunting my dogs. Fun to watch, definitely.

However, with squirrels come a variety of problems. They've repeatedly eaten through cable and phone lines, causing a tremendous amount of damage and requiring several visits from workers in both industries. I'm not just talking about the wires high up into the air, but the ones that are right up against the house. They also jump onto our roof and run across the patio cover, occasionally keeping folks awake and bringing about damage to those areas as well. Squirrels can even get inside chimneys and crawl spaces, causing stinky problems should they pass away there. So, squirrels may be fun to watch, but they can also be frustrating and expensive.

Recently, I visited Havahart to see what solutions they have to offer. They have a variety of humane traps, electronic solutions, and squirrel repellent ideas for those of us dealing with this issue. I really love that their ideas don't involve killing because I really do love the little guys and I'm a very strong animal lover. Their entire inventory is based on their name. Look at it closely -- Havahart equals 'have a heart'. Their solutions are caring; otherwise, I wouldn't be writing about them in my blog. If you have a squirrel problem, check them out.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=d8b8d429def7f73159bf8d1463df9f60 ss_blog_claim=d8b8d429def7f73159bf8d1463df9f60