Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Miss California Scandal

You know, I grew up watching pageants. My mother loved them, and it was something we did together for years. I still watch them. Now, I only saw part of this year's Miss USA Pageant, but I've heard about little else recently on the news by the question posed to Miss California by Perez Hilton.

Here's what bugs me. This country is about freedom, and that freedom extends to Perez Hilton *and* to Miss California. Now, I don't know if Perez was free to ask any question he wanted, or if he knew he was going to get Miss California. Like I said, I didn't actually see it. I've read a lot that he set her up. I don't know.

What I do know is that he asked a question about her stance on gay marriage. She spoke her mind, vocalizing her beliefs, which is exactly what she was asked. For Perez Hilton, or any judge, to score her down because of her personal morals, ethics, or opinions is dead wrong. Now, I don't happen to agree with her. I will say that I used to, but over the last few years I've come to believe that love is so rare and wherever you can find it, with whom you can find it, isn't a bad thing. Is it for me? No. It's not something I'd do. I'm very much wanting to be princess rescued by the handsome prince. However, I know a lot of princesses who are quite happy with other princesses, and the same for princes. They have a right to be public with their happiness and to have the same rights as heterosexual couples. That's just how I feel now.

For Miss California to be torn down, though, because she believes differently goes against everything this country stands for. The bashing that she has sustained over that issue is as wrong as the bashing of gay couples.

Now, as for the question of her improper photos and the contract she signed, Miss California lied and is in the wrong. Today, Shannon Moakler resigned from her duties with the pageant because Donald Trump, who owns the Miss USA pageant and thus rules over all of the state pageants, let Miss California keep her crown. The Donald likes publicity. He was wrong. I have to applaud Moakler's values and standing up for what she believes. The Miss California Pageant has now become a joke. It doesn't matter any more about the contract that contestants sign. Get Donald some publicity and that's all he cares about.

It's a shame. Two wrongs have been done here, and no one is paying the price.


No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=d8b8d429def7f73159bf8d1463df9f60 ss_blog_claim=d8b8d429def7f73159bf8d1463df9f60